Get on with it!

The Song of the Day is...!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

"I can't get to sleep..."

With great thanks to my friend Kenny, Martha and I took in an evening with Colin Hay! For those of you who don't recall the name maybe you'll recall this: "I come from a land down under." That's him the man behind all the Men at Work tunes and tonight we heard them all acoustic. Just the man, the guitar and the tunes. Wonderful stuff! If you're old enough to remember the group from the 80's or like myself and got switched on from his appearence on Scrubs you can not deny the songs however they come out. I saw him a few years ago with a full band and it was rockin'. Tonight was just as rockin', more so actully. There's an honesty that happens in small venues when artist take the stage themselves. No flash, no ripping 5 minute guitar solos,(and I love those) just singer and song! At one time tonight some shumck from the crowd shouted out some tune and he played it. Which means to me that that song must be heard. How many times have you gone to a show and some asshole screams out some tune and just pisses everyone off? I'd imagine it's happened to you. But how many times has the player played the tune, shit not just play it but PLAY THE HELL outta it. You could tell it was one of those songs Colin was proud of and he played it proudly and beautifully.
On top of all the great Men at Work songs his opener Chris Trapper, which was the selling point for me, was fantastic. I had seen him once before in at a club in Ybor City opening for Martin Sexton he was great enough then for me to buy a CD and thankfully his songs have only gotten better since. I strongly suggest you try out some Chris Trapper. It's not the best songs you've ever heard but again I use the word honesty, which there is plenty of. 
Such a wonderful feeling this ringing in my ears. I have to say that even if I mess up next years audiogram... It was worth it! Your favorite songs live? Any day my friend, any freakin' day!

No comments:

Post a Comment