Get on with it!

The Song of the Day is...!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Can you dig it Daddy-O/Mommy-O?

Though my father wasn't really a Who fan while I was growing up, it would be really stupid to say that he had nothing to do with it.  I spent this morning driving about town to doctor's office's and farmer's market's listening to Ian Hunter. Ian Hunter is the lead singer from the band Mott the Hoople. A fine 70's British group. And although my childhood was riddled with Zeppelin tunes and Yes and of coarse Neil Young, there was Mott! Now in the early '00's  Ian released a live album called "String's Attached" and needless to say Dad really dug it and made a copy for me. Needless to say I dug it. Some time in the summer of '05 I took two weeks off and went home for a bit. The weather was nice: sun was hot, shade was cool. But the music was always great. I remember sitting at a table on the porch my Dad, myself and my new guitar listening to Ian Hunter. I'll never forget that summer!

One other great moment in Father/Son music was my 21st birthday. My Dad have only been to two concerts together. One of which he didn't know I was at and that was Neil Young's Silver and Gold tour 2000. I knew he was going but I went with some friends at the last minute. Turns out we weren't too far away from each other. But on my 21st birthday July 29th 2002 The Who played the Hersey Park Stadium with Robert Plant opening for them. HELLO! My favorite band with the singer from my Dad's favorite band opening on my 21st birthday THE FIRST SHOW MY DAD AND I ARE SEEING TOGETHER!!! My dad taught and coached me when I played youth hockey. He taught me how to golf. Even nowadays we talk about food and cooking, but this was the greatest musical moment in my life. Beyond playing with Livingston Taylor, beyond performing the Blues Brothers for Paul Shaffer, beyond performing my own music to a crowd of 50 kids. All of those I'm proud of but at the end of the day listening to music is always what you return to. I took in all my favorite Who tunes, Dad realized Pete was a really good player, I heard the voice of one of the greatest bands of all time. I don't think I had a drink just got drunk on Rock and Roll. Thanks Dad.

Now with all that said, black has a white, up has a down, hell Rock has a Roll. My mother had just has much to do with my young ears as my dad did.  I love classic rock, heavy hitting power chords and such. Yet I still set and listen to Jim Croce and Bread. My Mom had a bit more of the "AM" sound in her catalogue which was just fine by me. I remember standing in the kitchen helping her with something and being hit with the heaviness of: "If there's someone you know you're loving them so but taking them all for granent. You may loose them someday, someone takes them away and they don't hear the words you long to say." It stopped me dead in my tracks which maybe the reason I say "I love you" to all the people I love ALL THE TIME!

And now I will tell you a story of the poentsy of good music. When I was a hockey playing lad my mother, responsible for 5:30AM practices and games would play Herman Hermits tunes in the car while on the way. They always seemed to wake me up. We would sing in our British accents song after song. Thankfully all those song were only 2 minutes long cause it meant we got more in on the drives. It became one of those things my Mom and I had to hold onto even now. Peter Noone came to South Park for a free concert in the summer of '99 so we went with my girlfriend at the time, Mom and I had a BLAST I don't think said girlie did but that's her hang-up. Years later when Peter Noone came to Busch Gardens(where I worked) I went to just about every show, met him, got an autograph. Everytime I heard those somgs it made everything right for those moments. Even now I still record myself singing songs that are important to me. Last set of tunes I did was for my Mom. It included "Mrs. Brown You've got a Lovely Daughter" and as it turns out my young nephew has taken a shine to the song. You see it doesn't matter what, when, why, how nothing. I good song is a good song. It's ment to be heard and enjoyed. Sung a-long to in proper fashion. Most of all the fact that 3 generations have taken to one silly 2 minute peice of music makes that silly 2 minutes so damn important and special. I know I will never let Sam forget that he likes that song.

I can't think of a more musical up bringing by parents that didn't even play an instument. They helped shape me into the person I am today with the lessons they taught me, but the music that was played and heard and loved will forever remind me of their love, which believe it or not is far greater then any song or artist I've ever heard. Thanks Mom and Dad. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment